Glucose in Egusin SLH and 250

Some owners can be concerned that the Egusin products contain dextrose/glucose. Dextrose/glucose are included in the Egusin products to increase the uptake of salts and minerals from the intestinal lumen.

To allow you to understand the impact that this small amount of sugar might have on your horse we have explained what the amounts mean in real terms.

The total sugar content is:

12.4% in Egusin SLH
8.1% in Egusin 250

For example a 500 kg horse will be fed 250 grams of Egusin SLH per day which would include 31 grams of total sugars.  To put this in perspective, the same horse would eat between 10-12 kg of hay or haylage per day. Typically hay or haylage has a total sugar content of 9% so in one day a 500 kg horse will consume  900 – 1080 grams of total sugar per day. The sugar content of grass however is likely to be anywhere from 11% to 20% during the spring, sometimes higher depending on the grass type so the same 500 kg horse eating the same quantity of grass on a dry matter basis could be exposed to total sugar amounts in excess of 1100 – 2400 grams.

In this context Egusin SLH is contributing only a tiny fraction (1% – 3%) of the total sugars consumed by a 500 kg horse throughout the whole day.

In addition the effect upon insulin levels is mitigated further by the fact that Egusin has to be fed in 2 feeds per day,  so a 500 kg horse is receiving 15.5 grams per feed amount, top dressed on a bucket feed.

As you can see in reality the impact of the Egusin SLH is small and much, much less than spring grass sugar content, however perhaps where a horse is very sensitive to sugar then splitting the quantity of Egusin into more than two feeds is wise to lower the exposure even more and avoid an insulin spike.

Digestive Health for Horses - Forageplus

Connect with us

Pay in Pounds or Euros

SEARCH PRODUCTS

PRODUCT CATEGORIES

FORAGEPLUS POST TOPICS

Categories

POPULAR PRODUCTS

Top rated products

RECENTLY VIEWED PRODUCTS