What is Vitamin B Plus?
Vitamin-B Plus is our signature supplement containing all of the complex B vitamins for horses, needed to support and maintain excellent horse health and resilience. B vitamins are required for the normal metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins and converting these foods into energy.
Other functions include the production of nucleic acids for DNA synthesis and the interconversion of amino acids.
We consider this supplement to be one of the highest quality equine B vitamin supplements currently available on the market, without the addition of any bulking agents, fillers or preservatives. It has all of the b vitamins needed, at the correct levels to support optimum health.
Does my horse need B Vitamin supplementation?
If your grass is short, over-grazed or if grazing is restricted, it would be beneficial to supplement B vitamins for your horse.
Adequate levels of B vitamins in the diet support tissues that either have high energy requirements or a high rate of tissue turnover. This includes the nervous system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, hooves and red blood cell production. Hard-working horses have a high demand for B vitamins.
Well managed pasture, where the soil is healthy grows healthy grass with high levels of B vitamins however the process of curing forage into hay or haylage reduces the amounts of these water-soluble vitamins. Also, the action of soaking and rinsing hay to lower sugar content to make forage suitable for laminitis prone horses also leaches these nutrients.
The Benefits of B Vitamins for Horses
Supplementing B vitamins for horses has a potential benefit in the following scenarios:
- Horses that are on high cereal, low forage diets, or those on a very poor quality forage.
- Those that are eating soaked hay or haylage.
- Horses that change their environment or feed abruptly.
- Older horses, particularly where teeth problems are contributing to weight maintenance and digestive issues.
- Those with reduced appetites.
- Those failing to thrive due to illness or stress.
- Horses that are in hard work, high-stress situations or those competing (endurance, travelling, racing, eventing, hunting).
- Horses that need additional support to maintain good digestive health.
- For young horses with incomplete gut microflora populations.
- Horses who need additional support to maintain healthy hindgut bacteria.
To find out more about the importance of B vitamins for horses please find a useful article here.