What are B Vitamins for Horses
Vitamin-B Plus is our signature B vitamins for horses supplement, containing all of the B-Complex vitamins needed to support and maintain excellent horse health and resilience.
B vitamins are required for the normal metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins and converting these foods into energy. Other functions include the production of nucleic acids for DNA synthesis and the interconversion of amino acids.
Adequate levels of B vitamins in the diet support tissues that either have high energy requirements or a high rate of tissue turnover. This includes the nervous system, gastrointestinal tract, skin, hooves and red blood cell production. Hard-working horses have a high demand for B vitamins.
Well managed pasture, where the soil is healthy grows healthy grass with high levels of B vitamins however the process of curing forage into hay or haylage reduces the amounts of these water-soluble vitamins. Also, the action of soaking and rinsing hay to lower sugar content to make forage suitable for laminitis prone horses also leaches these nutrients.
Protein 15.80%, Oil 24%, DE 14.00 Mj/Kg
Each 5ml scoop will provide approximately for the following:
Thiamine B1 30mg, Riboflavin B2 40mg, Pyridoxine B6 35mg, Vitamin B12 300mcg, Niacin 90mg, Pantothenic Acid 35mg, Folic Acid 25mg, Biotin 20mg, Micronised Linseed 3.43g.
The Benefits of B Vitamins for Horses
- Horses on high cereal, low forage diets, or those on very poor quality forage.
- Horses eating soaked hay or haylage.
- Horses changing environment or feed abruptly.
- Older horses, particularly where teeth problems are contributing to weight maintenance and digestive issues.
- Horses with reduced appetite.
- Horses with failure to thrive due to illness or stress.
- Horses in hard work, high-stress situations or competing (endurance, travelling, racing, eventing, hunting).
- Horses that need support to maintain good digestive health.
- Young horses with incomplete gut microflora populations.
- Horses who need additional support to maintain healthy hindgut bacteria.
Free from any prohibited substances as defined under Jockey Club and FEI rules.
To find out more about the importance of B vitamins for horses please find a useful article here.