This Alpha-Ketoglutarate compound helps improve the delivery of L-arginine in metabolic pathways. The amino acid arginine is the precursor for the formation of nitric oxide in tissue circulation. Nitric oxide is a powerful vasodilator i.e. causes the blood vessels to widen, which encourages greater blood flow and tissue perfusion.
In the immune system, a key role of arginine is in the generation of large amounts of nitric oxide (NO) during non-specific inflammatory responses.
Arginine: support for maintenance of healthy horses and healthy laminae
- Research has shown some horses may have laminae with compromised circulation leading to vasoconstriction and ischaemia (lack of blood flow to the laminae).
- Further research has shown that some equines will have reduced circulation, particularly where the AVA shunts have been damaged. This state is often more prevalent before a cold weather snap.
- AAKG supports circulation which can maintain the healthy functioning of the hoof. When used in conjunction with the herb jiaogulan the nutritional support is even more effective.
- Arginine can be helpful as a support during stressful states and to assist with the support and maintenance of healthy ligaments and tendons. Again supplementing in conjunction with the herb jiaogulan is thought to increase NO formation.
- Feeding before a cold weather snap can support healthy hoof function and circulation. When both jiaogulan and AAKG are supplemented together, before and during a temperature drop below 2 degrees C, the nutritional support is even more effective.
- In tandem with other management practices, such as wrapping feet and bedding on deep bedding, Forageplus have seen this to be a useful way of maintaining healthy circulation in hooves affected by cold temperatures.
For more information on using this product please contact us.