The Forageplus™ approach is based on the forage your horse eats and we can advise you on how to match the feed your horse eats to the forage eaten. We pride ourselves on excellent service using the latest equine nutrition knowledge and scientific forage analysis to test grass, hay, haylage water and soil.
Just like humans, horses need adequate amounts of protein, carbohydrate, fats, minerals and vitamins. For the vast majority of horses forage will supply all these elements apart from tweaking for a few minerals and vitamins.
At Forageplus™ we know a good diet should always start with forage. The horse’s digestive system evolved over a very long time to a design that is geared to extract available calories from high fibre foods by hindgut fermentation. The base of the diet for EVERY class of horse should be pasture or hay or haylage. However domestication creates forage drawbacks. Our horses often live in very small areas eating from pasture which may have far too much or far too little of certain minerals.We develop custom, forage focused, horse supplements. Our approach is based on the forage your horse eats.Click To Tweet
The hay or haylage we give our horses will almost certainly have incorrect levels of minerals. Our Forage Focused™ approach allows you to add to your forage, safe in the knowledge that rather than buying a bag of feed or a supplement off the shelf, using a broad spectrum approach, you have scientifically analysed your horse’s diet to add only that which optimises health and performance. Your horse is then provided with a forage focused supplement.
Forageplus creates balanced horse feed and supplements
- Forageplus™ provides analysis services for hay, haylage and pasture so the nutrient and mineral levels are known.
- We can also test water and soil should it be appropriate.
- We assist you with the procedure for sampling and carrying out all your analysis.
- Our nutritional analysis includes both starch and ESC (ethanol soluble carbohydrate) sugar, these figures have proved vital in maintaining health in horses prone to laminitis. We are currently the only company in the UK to offer this type of forage analysis.
- Forageplus™ can interpret the results of all forage analysis and calculate a bespoke feeding plan unique to your individual horses requirements. Our plan can accomodate your hard feed or supplement preferences or we can formulate a completely new diet for you, choosing the best feeds on the market which suit both your purse and your horse’s needs.
- We provide a recipe and instructions for making your own custom mineral mix containing only what your horse needs in addition to the forage he/she eats.
- Forageplus™ sell separate minerals so that balancing your horse’s feed is easy, economical and accurate.
- For those who are unable to supply a constant supply of same source forage for analysis we have developed a range of unique Forage Focused™ Equine Balancers using data from hundreds of samples we carry out for our customers. No matter if your horse has access to different sources of hay or fields, our balancers will help you target only those minerals commonly deficient. For answers to your questions please read our FAQs page.
Forageplus feed plans will help ensure that the mineral ratios are at their optimum, to lessen the chance that too much of one mineral is blocking the absorption of another. For example a high iron intake in comparison to copper and zinc has been shown to depress the absorption of copper and zinc. Correct levels of copper and zinc, for example, help maintain healthy tendons and ligaments, good coat colour and strong hoof integrity.
For horses in hard work we can suggest the most suitable concentrate feeds to maintain the vital nutritional balance which will guarantee optimum performance. Other feed systems rely on a broad spectrum approach which fails to take into account of the major impact that forage has on the horse’s system.